Saturday, October 25, 2008

I have a confession...

Everything I am about to say is true - not a joke, not sarcasm. These are my honest and true (and a little bit pathetic) feelings.

I love High School Musical. I love it in very close to the same way I love Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful. Believe it. For a while I tried to pass it off as supporting my son, who is also not in the general demographic of HSM fans. I pretended to have to let Addison stay up late on Monday nights to watch High School Musical: Get in The Picture. I acted like I only knew all the words to all of the songs from both HSM 1 and HSM 2 because we had to listen to it in the car. But, really I'm just a High School Musical fan who is so into it that I don't just type HSM, sometimes I say it - as in, "Have you seen H.S.M. 3, yet? You don't know what that is? It stands for High School Musical. I'm just really trying to cut back on my syllables.".

I guess it's not too surprising. I've always loved musicals and high school movies and this really is choreographed teen angst at its sticky-sweet best. But the truth is, this movie is just good entertainment to me. Ryan is my favorite character. He's such a funny background guy. He has some seriously funny, overlooked moments - kind of like when Angela stops, drops, and rolls in the bat episode of The Office. You're not really even supposed to be paying attention to her, but if you are, it makes the scene worth watching at least 14 more times. Same with Ryan. When he's in a scene, keep your eyes peeled. I also have to admit a big time (and slightly creepy, I know) crush on Zac Efron. That scene in HSM 3 where he and Chad are dancing in the car junkyard... Man, he's a cutie. I'll stop. I'm even creeping myself out.

I'll admit, there are some parts that are even too much for me. That scene where Troy is dancing on the walls that keep turning? Yikes. Kenny Ortega should stay away from artsy and stick to bubblegum. But, all in all, I love it, and I'll keep coming back for more.

Someday, I am sure, I am going to have to take responsibility for my own obsession. Addison and my interests grow more and more different as he gets older. I cannot understand his Star Wars language, and his poop jokes are not even close to funny. But, tonight when Addison couldn't stop talking about how cool it was that we both thought Ryan was the funniest character, and asking me if I thought Troy was really that good of a basketball player, and then, after shifting around in an uncomfortable seat, asking if he could sit on my lap, I realized, I'm going to hang on to this for as long as I can. I know it's not going to be long before sharing opinions with his mother is not top on his list. While it is though, I'm going to milk it for all it's worth.

As we were leaving tonight, we walked out of the theater behind a dad with his 3 little girls. I'm pretty sure he really was dragged there. As he held the door open for us, I looked at his pink clad crew and said, "You're a good daddy." He smiled and told me he was outnumbered, and then gave me a look as if to say, "You know how it is. You got dragged here, too."

I eye-rolled and nodded back, trying to give off my best "the things we do for our kids" look, and hoping not to blow my cover, because my little date was letting me hold his hand...
And I'm not ready to let go.

10 comments:

Veronica, Collin and Jed said...

you are such an awesome mommy steph! let me tell you the part on Addison's star wars language and the poop jokes had me in tears. I love it and love you guys.

LollyGirl said...

you've inspired me to see them. i'll start with the first. i tried to get it the other day but jaden said he'd already seen it at my sister's. i'm pretty sure i'll like them because i took like the hs, teeny-bopper shows that i sometimes find myself watching as i flip through the channels (when there's cable that is).

Dasha said...

I like them too. Good songs and not too complicated of a story. You're so funny and definitely milk it. That's what I'm doing. Spencer still likes to cuddle with his mommy and that's just fine by me. Also, you've inspired us to part Spencer's hair. Stuart said that Addison looked so handsome last week that he decided to comb a part in Spencer's hair this morning. I don't think it lasted though.

Amy said...

So cute. I'm glad it is ok to be a grown-up and still like what is going on in pop culture. I saw you and Addison at church today and thought, "Addison is lucky to have that mommy."

Great blog, I love the way you write!

Elizabeth said...

You're to funny! I must not be a very good mom, because even though my kids like HSM I have to admit I've never seen them except for clips. I might just have to check them out if you say they're good. Isabel saw HSM3 this weekend and said it was "amazing"!

Sherry said...

Uhhhh.....hello....if you could only see "papa Brent" DANCING out of the theatre with his 4 little dates then you wouldn't feel too bad. I'm so glad that I have Blake too add to my "testosterone levels" to balance the hormones in our house.

Amy said...

Ok Steph, here is a very funny article from today's msn.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27286351/

And I love HSM too.

Jessica said...

That's funny. I'll have to see them now.

Amanda said...

You are such a good writer. I have to admit that I watched HSM 2 a couple of nights ago when my Mom was watching a neighbor girl who is crazy about it. My kids LOVED it and were dancing all over the place. And then I asked the little girl if I could borrow HSM 1 to watch the next day! I'm interested to see #3!

Megan said...

I love them too! The girls and I had a afternoon out to see the movie. It was a lot of fun but I must admit I still like HMS 1 the best. I sure miss you and Addison. He is so darn cute.