Friday, September 26, 2008

Ummm....Hi

I have a serious problem when it comes to leaving phone messages. It all started because I have had even more of a problem when it comes to forgetting what I call people about. So, I feel like I need to tell the person why I am calling in the message. I can't just say... "Hi. This is Stephanie. Call me back." Generally, this is how a phone message to a friend who is coming over to dinner might go...

Hi, this is Stephanie. Okay, so I'm really excited that you guys are coming over tonight. Give me a call back and we'll talk about what time.

This should be enough, right? No. Now I'm thinking, well, I'm out right now and I'm not sure when I'll be back. Does she have my cell phone number?

I'm on my cell right now but I'll be back home in about...

This is where it starts to get bad. I haven't thought this through and now I'm not sure when I'll be back, so instead, I will list all of the things I need to do before I get back home so she can figure out when I will be back on her own...

Well, I need to stop at Target and then I'm going running and then I'm going to pick up Addison from school, so I'll be home after that...

Wait... Addison has karate tonight.

But Addison has karate at 4:00, so I'll be gone for a little while for that, but then I'll be home.

Ok. That's good. Oh! I forgot to give her my cell number! That was the point of this ramble right?

So, anyway, my cell number is *******.

Now I can't remember... does she usually call on my cell phone or my home phone? I better give her my home phone number too. This is getting really long, talk fast...

My home number is *******. Maybe you already know that.

Did I find out if they are allergic to any foods or have any particular aversions?

I know you don't like fish, but you're okay otherwise, right? Tom's a vegetarian so hopefully you're not against that. Just call me back and tell me about your dietary habits.

Did I just say dietary habits in a phone message?!

Oh my gosh,

I said that out loud. I have to stop this... This is where the # button can sometimes be my saving grace or it can drive the nail into the coffin. On some voicemail programs, when you push the # button, it gives you options such as "Review your message" or "Continue where you left off". Number 3 is what I'm looking for, "ERASE AND RE-RECORD". I love that option. If you've received a phone message from me that is 20 words or less, I have almost certainly used option #3.

Sometimes, though, after I push #, I hear the sweet, calm voicemail message lady say, "Thank you. Your message has been sent."

Oh no.

This is where I long for the days of answering machines and breaking into houses to steal the tapes. (Have you seen that Gilmore Girls where Lorelai steals the tape from Luke's answering machine? That's what I'm talking about. I love that episode.) No luck though. People often call me back wondering if I'm okay because my message ended so abruptly.

All I can do now is just hope that the person on the receiving end will actually call me back so that I can explain my problem with phone messages, and that they will still come to dinner.

(I'm glad you did Meridth and Edward).

7 comments:

Read and Camille King said...

oh stephanie i miss you. and your cute little addison. how are you guys doing? reade and i will be back in january so i hope to see you then. i got my swimsuite at urbanoutfitters.com. i love that store.

jonathan said...

I am glad I am not the only one that has this problem! It is like I just really want to talk to you, and if you are not there then I am going to talk to your answering machine instead. You crack me up.

Amanda said...

Oh, this is Amanda, not Jonathan!

Dasha said...

Thanks for that blog. What a crack up! I totally hear ya on that. Did I ever tell ya, you remind me of this totally fabulous gal I new in Maryland. Your enthusiasm is contagious just like her. So crazy!

Amy said...

I'm glad we got to hang out at Narnia practices because I really like your blog but I don't want to feel like a stalker anymore!! Your post made me think you were talking about me! I realized last week as I was trying to make plans with babysitters that maybe I should just say, "Call me back" instead of going on and on. Thanks for the fun blog!

Kaelee said...

I totally feel your pain in the phone message leaving, I am so bad at it! But I have a feeling yours are really funny!

Laurie Von said...

Hey miss stephanie--i'm sneaky i got on your blog from cheryl's hope you're not raving mad--hehe. i figured if we're gonna party together i want some inside scoop on you, yeah for blogs. i'm so the same with the message thing, i even go thru all that when i am late getting to a phone call--"sorry i was in the garage ..." anyway, you are halarious, if you wanna check out my blog feel free. see ya sometime.