Friday, April 25, 2008

Living In The Woods

Things that are not so great about living in the woods...
There is always a bug on me or someone near me.
Tom has to set and get rid of these regularly. Thank heavens for him. Remember when mom was in Oregon and I was in Pleasant Grove and I called her screaming about a mouse under my bed? I don't remember what happened to the mouse, but I do remember thinking that I wasn't getting off my bed until she got home.

Stepping in coyote poop.
(This is dried coyote poop, so it's not as bad)

You'll have to enlarge this picture to see it, but there are scratches on the panels of the house. This happened in the middle of the night, and is just below one of my bedroom windows. It was scarier than when the mouse was under my bed.
I live so far away that it costs me a million dollars a month just to drive Addison to school. The fact that gas is almost $4 a gallon here doesn't help.


And then there are the noises that keep me up at night. In addition to wild animals scratching my house, there are coyotes howling, wild turkeys gobbling, and owls that sound like demon children laughing (that's even scarier than wild animals scratching under my window).


What I love about living in the woods...


This is where Addison gets to go when I say...

"Why don't you play outside for a while?"

4 comments:

Ellen James said...

So, there are down-falls to living in California? Nice to know. When I read about the guy being killed by a great white shark yesterday, I thought that it might go on my con list of living by the beach.

Amy said...

Okay, the owl sounding like a demon child STILL gives me goose bumps.

Amanda said...

Steph - The night I read this post we had some possessed animal literally screaming in our front yard. We were too scared to open the door to find out what it was. I don't know how you do it out there - I was completely freaked out! You are tough.

Marge Lundell said...

Beware of the California Coyotes. I Hear they are vicious. (serious)
I can't believe you live with bugs not to mention all of the wild animals. Take care and beware Love You Mom