Monday, June 8, 2009
Memorial Day - Prairie Creek
We went to Humboldt County to a place called Prairie Creek for Memorial Day. It was a little cold and soggy, but so beautiful. There were lots of elk all over the place, including our campground
This is at the top of what I think was called a ceremonial rock. It was huge and a boy scout troup was repelling down it.
We started by going to a recreation of a Yurok village. These buildings are used still for Yurok traditional ceremonies. When we first saw them, we thought it must be a tribe of little people.
Addison in the little house.
King of the world!
I love the circle entry. Can you see it on the right of the building?
So, they actually aren't a tribe of little people. All of this houses are dug out inside.
Coming out of the circle door.
Having our own ceremony.
Addison's outfit is all his own... So is his hairstyle. I thought about making him put on something different, but then I remembered we were in Humboldt County, and thought he'd fit in better this way.
Seriously, elk everywhere.
This is a really bad picture because I took it with Tom's phone and I don't really know how to use it, but Addison and Tom started a frisbee game and were joined by several crazy campers.
Our 8 hour drive home took us about 12 because we stopped at every place you could possibly stop. One of the placed was called The Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz County. We've talked about going there before, but never had so we decided to stop. It's one of those places where water runs up hill. They built this little house right on the area, and it was so crazy. I couldn't even walk through it without being so dizzy. I mostly had to stand outside it and not look in because I thought I might lose my lunch.
And then, of course, we had to drive our car through a redwood tree. I know we have a picture of us driving through a redwood tree in our blue van. Was it this one?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I REALLY REALLY like the ceremony photo. You guys go to the neatest places.
That is so cool. I wish I would have seen that while I was there.
Post a Comment