Friday, August 1, 2008

Basketball Jones Camp

I always feel so bad because Addison is so into sports, and I just am not. I'm interested in him being interested in sports, but the poor kid has no help from me when he has questions about the rules, or scoring, or playing of any particular sport. Even if he never gets into playing anything in particular, I really should start encouraging and participating in this interest. Would it kill me to watch a basketball game on TV? ... I hope not.
Good thing he is interested in singing High School Musical songs and re-enacting Newsies scenes with me while we're driving in the car so that we can bond. (I'm totally going to let his girlfriend read this when he is 16).

Too bad Clint's not nearby anymore to take him for manly days of He-Man movie watching and motorcycle riding. I promise I'll do better.

Display of my commitment to do better:
Addison went to a basketball camp this week - his first sports camp ever.

He had such a blast. There were 3 groups divided by age called ACC, Pac 10, and Big East. I'm sure these names mean something to some people, but not to me. Anyway, Addison was in the ACC group and his team was Wake Forest (sadly, I just had to google that to make sure it wasn't Lake Forest... just in case I had been hearing it wrong all week). They played from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM everyday with lots of drills and games, etc. Addison was beat by the time he got home- sore muscles, tired body- but every day he said he couldn't wait to go back tomorrow and he wished the camp would last for a month! He was such a trooper and I am so proud of him for working so hard. Way to go Addison!!

Addison and one of his best friends here.

Watching the teenagers play their playoff game.

They did this at the end of every day. Everybody claps together and comes in to a big huge huddle (seriously, stop... I don't know what it's called... a huddle, right?). I was always worried Addison was going to get smushed in there.

This was his coach. He was a super nice guy. Very patient with all of these crazy kids.

2 comments:

JPS said...

CONGRATULATIONS Addison on finishing your first sports-camp and on making new friends with other boys in the camp... Your mom is going to help you to follow any path/walk/arena that you choose to follow, even SPORTS... if that's what you choose...

I know you'll be great at whatever it is that you choose!

Dad (JPS)

Dave said...

Steph,

your awesome!! Just wait till Addison is older, baseball in the spring along with soccer, golf in the summer, football in the fall, basketball in the winter!!! Not only will he want you to explain the rules of each one, but he'll want you to show him how!! I remember playing catch with my mom out in our front yard before a little league baseball game, it only happened once, (because I had older brothers) but it was really cool and suprisingly she was good!! I have to sit through ballet and voice recitals!!! You can do it!!!

The big east, pack ten, etc. They are all different conferences in college sports. B.Y.U. Is in the mountain west (that's the only one you really need to know!!)

Taco to ya later,

Dave Harris